It’s a “Cowardly aggression”, was moved the Minister of Culture Roselyne Bachelot. A photo-journalist for the regional daily “L’Union” was seriously injured this Saturday, February 27 in Reims, while covering groups of young people in the priority district of the Red Cross, and an investigation is opened for attempted murder, a – we learned from the prefecture, the prosecution and the newspaper.
Around 3 p.m. “A journalist from the Union newspaper was attacked and seriously injured in circumstances as yet undetermined, but on purpose. I therefore opened an investigation for attempted murder, entrusted to the departmental security “, told AFP the prosecutor of the Republic of Reims, Matthieu Bourrette.
The 65-year-old photographer “Was taken care of by the Samu and transferred to the Reims University Hospital, with a vital prognosis”, he clarified. ” It would seem “ he was covering “Groups of young people”, continued the prosecutor, indicating that no arrest has intervened at this stage.
15-year-old teenager shot dead in Bondy: two people taken into custody
“He was on the ground, bleeding at the level of the ears”
The journalist “Was found on the ground around 3:30 p.m. in the Red Cross district […]. The police were there, had identified movements of young people, some of whom were wearing baseball bats, and reinforcements had been called ” to secure the neighborhood, the prefect of Marne Pierre N’Gahane told AFP.
The authorities have for the moment “No precise information on what happened, whether he received any blows or a projectile. But he was on the ground, bleeding at the level of the ears ”, he lamented.
Christian Lantenois was joined by “A colleague from the local of Reims”, alerted “An event in the neighborhood”, in which he arrived “With a flocked car” of the newspaper’s logo, one of the newspaper’s two editors, Geraldine Baehr-Pastor, told AFP. “We don’t know if he went out alone, or if someone got him out of the car”, said the co-editor-in-chief Carole Lardot. The sister has “Only heard an altercation”, before finding the photographer.
“The company condemns this aggression in the strongest terms. Nothing and no one will ever hinder our will to inform or our freedom to act ”, reacted the director general of the newspaper Daniel Picault, expressing his “Thoughts” for the victim and his relatives.
“A sensitive neighborhood”
“The neighborhood remains a sensitive neighborhood. A year ago, just before confinement, there were two series of clashes between young people from this neighborhood and from another neighborhood ”, noted the prefect of Marne.
“My thoughts are with the photo-journalist seriously injured in the course of his work in Reims. Solidarity with the editorial staff of L’Union-L’Ardennais and the entire profession. The national police are fully mobilized to identify and question the perpetrators ”Interior Minister Gerald Darmanin tweeted on Saturday evening.
“Today, the threshold of the unacceptable has been exceeded (…) Beyond the ignominy of such an act, I want to express my fed up with this bunch of scoundrels who are rotting the life of our neighborhoods “ LR mayor of Reims Arnaud Robinet said on Facebook.
The Minister of Culture, Roselyne Bachelot, who was also moved by this attack in a tweet, expressed her “Solidarity” with the photographer and his editorial staff.
Two teenagers dead: what we know about the gang clashes that mourned Essonne