Breaking News

The alleged shooter from the Cévennes surrendered, after 3 days on the run


Valentin Marcone, suspected of having perpetrated the double homicide at the Plantiers sawmill (Gard) on Tuesday, May 11, surrendered to the gendarmes on Friday, announced the Interior Ministry Gerald Darmanin. The suspect had been on the run in the Cévennes for three days.

“The man wanted since Tuesday in the Gard surrendered”, wrote the Minister of the Interior on Twitter. “Thank you to all the agents of the State for their exceptional mobilization, day and night, during these last three days. In particular the 350 gendarmes, within the framework of the judicial investigation, the prefect and the sub-prefect of Vigan ”.

According to information from BFMTV, Valentin Marcone has been taken into custody and will now be heard by investigators.

Terré in camouflage

The 29-year-old man had been hiding in the Cévennes forest since Tuesday morning after killing his boss and one of his colleagues in the sawmill where he worked, in the village of Plantiers.

“He surrendered without violence”, a source close to the investigation told AFP.

Murder in the Cevennes: the alleged shooter, on the run, had “a paranoid behavior”

“The individual was arrested at 19:25 near the church of Saint-Marcel de Fontfouillouse, in the search area”, said another source close to the investigation, which also mentions a ” surrender without resistance “.

“He was in full camouflage gear. He was holed up. We had just found his hiding place a few moments before he surrendered ”, said another source close to the investigation. “He probably felt that everything was tightening against him, that he had no possibility of escape”.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *